The Turner scholar C.F. Bell extended Finberg’s 1909 Inventory entry (‘Triumphal arch on pier at Ancona’): ‘of Clement XII’.1 In fact, while that smaller arch north of the harbour is shown on folio 69 verso (D14514; Turner Bequest CLXXVI 65a) and other pages, the most prominent subject here is rather the Baroque Porta Pia, as Cecilia Powell recognised,2 on the south-eastern side at the corner of the Banchina on what is now the Via XXIX Settembre.
The viewpoint is near the modern roundabout where it meets the Via Guglielmo Marconi, looking north-west along the turreted outer wall of the Lazzaretto to its rusticated gateway on the left. The complex is shown linked to the mainland by a bridge (since replaced by a more substantial one), with the Porta Pia to the north-north-west; the fortifications immediately adjoining it do not survive. Lightly outlined at the centre is the substantial lighthouse which once stood in the distance on the north side of the harbour, as shown more clearly in other views.