The Turner scholar C.F. Bell annotated Finberg’s 1909 Inventory entry (‘Triumphal arches at Ancona’), changing ‘arches’ to ‘arch of Trajan’. He crossed out Finberg’s curly bracket (usually an indication of a continuous view) linking this page with folio 77 recto opposite (D14629; Turner Bequest CLXXVI 73);1 the two drawings are indeed separate, albeit showing different aspects of the same scene.
The viewpoint is the Banchina south-east of the Arch of Trajan, outlined on the right, looking west along the broad pier to the Arco Clementino, which has since lost its upper storey on this side, and the lighthouse, only the base of which survives, supporting a coastguard station. Today the monuments are somewhat marooned in a heavily developed area of the port; the section of harbour wall between them remains, but the tower between the arches has gone.