The drawing continues across folio 73 verso opposite (D14622; Turner Bequest CLXXVI 69a). The Turner scholar C.F. Bell annotated Finberg’s 1909 Inventory entry (‘Town and harbour of Ancona’): ‘from the jetty outside the Canale del Lazzaretto’.1 Such a jetty or pier is marked on old maps and is apparently shown on the other page. The viewpoint is what is now the shore of the much-redeveloped port area north-west of the Lazzaretto, a corner of which is shown on the right here to the east, with the Cittadella high above; the slopes and fortifications are now heavily wooded. On the shore in between is the Baroque Porta Pia at the corner of the Banchina on what is now the Via XXIX Settembre.