This swiftly rendered pencil sketch of St Martin’s Church, Cochem was developed into a striking vertical-format gouache and watercolour drawing on blue paper (Tate D20253; Turner Bequest CCXXI T). The church was built between 1456 and 1503, and the elaborate steeple and onion-shaped cupola was added in the eighteenth century.1
For Turner’s 1839 sketches of St Martin’s Church and Cochem see Tate D28543; Turner Bequest CCXCI 3a; the Trèves to Cochem and Coblenz to Mayence sketchbook (Tate D28359–D28363; Turner Bequest CCXC 5–7) and the First Mossel and Oxford sketchbook (Tate D28295, D28296, D28318, D28319; Turner Bequest CCLXXXIX 3, 3a, 14a, 15). For earlier views see the Rivers Meuse and Moselle sketchbook of 1824 (Tate D19792, D19795; Turner Bequest CCXVI 121, 122a).
Powell 1991, p.140.
The leather loop on the inside front cover has stained the sheet.