After visiting the city of Loreto, Turner’s route took him south-west towards Recanati, a small hill town approximately three miles away. These two landscapes depict the view from the road leaving Loreto. In the foreground at the bottom can be seen the sixteenth-century aqueduct which stretched across the valley between the two locations and which supplied water from the mountains to Loreto. Built by Giovanni Fontana and Carlo Maderno during the papacy of Paul V (1552–1621), its remains can still be seen today to the left of the road leaving Loreto, see folio 12 verso (D14676).
- townscapes / man-made features(21,691)
- townscape, distant(8,119)