The subject is continued on folio 5 recto opposite (D02817). St Anthony’s Chapel, on an eminence in Holyrood Park, is thought to date from the fourteenth century. Its purpose is not known, though it seems likely that it served an oratory, with three bays and an upper room, presumably for a priest or hermit, who would say prayers for the souls of the departed, perhaps member of the Scottish Royal House whose palace Holyrood was.
Andrew Wilton, J.M.W. Turner: His Life and Work, Fribourg 1979, pp.432 – 3 no.1120, reproduced, as Indianapolis Museum of Art (subsequently stolen).