Drawn with the page turned horizontally, this was used as the basis for the finished watercolour (Walker Art Gallery, Liverpool),1 engraved in 1800 for Thomas Dunham Whitaker’s History of Whalley (Tate impression: T05929). The Abbey was a Cistercian house, first consecrated in 1306, with construction continuing throughout the fourteenth century. The view is taken from the Long Walk on the left or town bank of the river. The inner, or north-east, gatehouse, of 1480, is visible at the right, beyond the mill. The house to its left is known as the Abbot’s Lodging. Further drawings of Whalley Abbey in this book are on folios 31 verso and 35 verso (D01961, D01969), and folios 44 recto and 45 recto (D01983, D01984; Turner Bequest XLV 43, 44).
Andrew Wilton, J.M.W. Turner: His Life and Work, Fribourg 1979, p.332 no.289, reproduced.
- periods and styles(5,203)
- River Calder(12)