Turner used this drawing, made with the page turned horizontally, as the basis for his finished watercolour (private collection),1 engraved in 1800 for Thomas Dunham Whitaker’s History of Whalley (Tate impression: T05927). The tower of the parish church of St Mary is visible to the left of the gatehouse. Other views of the Abbey are on folios 31 verso, 34 verso and 35 verso (D01961, D01967, D01969), and 45 recto (D01984; Turner Bequest XLV 44).
Andrew Wilton, J.M.W. Turner: His Life and Work, Fribourg 1979, p.332 no.287.
The drawing is rubbed, with blue and brown paint smears.
- townscapes / man-made features(21,691)