Not on display
- Frederick Walker 1840–1875
- Oil paint on canvas
- Support: 1168 x 1975 mm
- Presented by Sir William Agnew Bt 1893
This painting was inspired by a group of elderly people seen sitting outside a church. The background was painted at the Jesus Hospital at Bray, near Maidenhead. The theme is the passage of time and the inevitability of death. Youth is contrasted with age, vigour with decrepitude, and death is symbolised by the scythe wielded by the young man. The old men beneath the statue listen to a man reading, but they also wait for the end of their lives. The warm glow of sunset signals the end of the day, but also provides an atmosphere of human resignation in the face of death.
Gallery label, September 2004
Does this text contain inaccurate information or language that you feel we should improve or change? We would like to hear from you.
- emotions, concepts and ideas(16,926)
- leisure and pastimes(7,743)
- work and occupations(14,389)
- symbols and personifications(7,285)