Tate Modern’s Community Liaison Group has been meeting intermittently since 2006, chaired by the local ward councillor. It is made up a group of key community leaders that represent different community organisations and groups across Southwark. They have acted as a group of ‘critical friends’ and a testing ground for elements of the Tate Modern project.
Some of the key focuses of the group:
- To think about the physical and intellectual barriers of attracting visitors to the gallery
- How to involve a diverse range of young people in the project development and consultation with a particular focus on young audiences
- To continue to build on the current work done by the gallery through its learning programmes and community engagement
- To realise the maximum value of the open spaces surrounding the gallery
- To listen to and comment on wider public reaction to the project proposals