Audio Arts: John Hewitt: Substance and Shadow, Side A - John Hewitt 00:27:3900:27:39
Audio Arts: John Hewitt: Substance and Shadow, Side B - John Hewitt 00:20:3100:20:31
- Created by
- Audio Arts
- Audio Arts: Published supplement ‘John Hewitt, Substance And Shadow’
- Audio-visual - sound recording
- Tate Archive
- Purchased from William Furlong, July 2004.
- TGA 200414/7/3/2/23
This supplement is a recording of poetry readings by Northern Irish poet, John Hewitt.
The grave yet rich cadences of John Hewitt's voice perfectly express the character of his poems. Born in 1907, he is regarded as the father of Northern Irish Poetry. His professional career was spent in the Belfast Museum and Art Gallery (1930-57) and in the Herbert Art Gallery Coventry where he was Art Director. Hewitt's publications include: The Rain Dance (Blackstaff Press, 1978) prepared when he was poet-in-residence at Queens University Belfast (1976-9), Kites in Spring (Blackstaff Press 1980). Other prose works include: Rhyming Weavers, Art in Ulster 1, (Blackstaff press 1974 & 1977 respectively) (from the cassette card notes by Edna Longley).
- Material relating to William Furlong's Audio Arts Magazine TGA 200414 (122)
- Audio recordings TGA 200414/7 (122)
- Published recordings TGA 200414/7/3 (122)
- Supplements TGA 200414/7/3/2 (50)
- Audio Arts: Published supplement 'John Hewitt, Substance And Shadow' TGA 200414/7/3/2/23