- Created by
- Graham Sutherland OM 1903–1980
- Sketchbook 1
- Bound volume - sketchbook
- Tate Archive
- Presented by Mrs Kathleen Sutherland, the artist's widow, in 1981.
- TGA 812/1
Graphite, ink, crayon and watercolour on paper, 19 sheets, 9 inserts, no covers, 235 × 140 mm
This is perhaps the earliest of Sutherland's surviving sketchbooks, and it is of particular interest in that it dates from the period when he was just beginning to develop as a painter after his first visit to Pembrokeshire in 1934. Most, if not all, of the subjects appear to be Pembrokeshire themes and include landscapes, a swan in flight, goats, a fishing net hung out to dry, and a regatta at Solva in 1936. The sketchbook incorporates nine smaller pieces of paper, probably from a different sketchbook.
- Collection of forty sketchbooks and fragments of sketchbooks TGA 812 (40)
- Sketchbook 1 TGA 812/1
You might like
- ruins - non-specific(442)
- politics and society(2,351)
- swimming cap(4)