- Created by
- Graham Sutherland OM 1903–1980
- Sketchbook 14
- Bound volume - sketchbook
- Tate Archive
- Presented by Mrs Kathleen Sutherland, the artist's widow, in 1981.
- TGA 812/14
Graphite, chalk, and paste on paper, 40 pages plus covers, 2 pages are missing, 267 × 210 mm.
This sketchbook includes a study for the Northampton 'Crucifixion' of 1946 and some of his earliest drawings of people tending vines in the South of France made in the following year. There are also several studies for textile designs. A very stylised drawing of Kathleen Sutherland seated appears to have been added later, in 1949, as a study for the portrait of Somerset Maugham. Over two thirds of the pages are blank.
- Collection of forty sketchbooks and fragments of sketchbooks TGA 812 (40)
- Sketchbook 14 TGA 812/14
You might like
- emotions, concepts and ideas(16,401)
- formal qualities(12,442)
- universal concepts(6,391)
- agriculture and fishing(1,275)