- Created by
- Graham Sutherland OM 1903–1980
- Sketchbook 15
- Bound volume - sketchbook
- Tate Archive
- Presented by Mrs Kathleen Sutherland, the artist's widow, in 1981.
- TGA 812/15
Graphite, chalk, crayon, watercolour, and oil on paper, 69 pages, 9 pages and covers are missing, 215 × 140 mm
This sketchbook includes more than twenty drawings of Kathleen Sutherland seated in a variety of positions. It seems more than likely that these drawings were made when Sutherland was experimenting and thinking how to paint his first portrait; as this would explain the inclusion of copies of several portrait heads by Picasso, exemplifying an alternative approach.
There are also drawings with nature themes in this sketchbook, which range in date from 1947-1951, and two drawings for the Somerset Maugham portrait of 1949.
- Collection of forty sketchbooks and fragments of sketchbooks TGA 812 (40)
- Sketchbook 15 TGA 812/15
You might like
- stair / step(518)
- river bed(15)
- light / lamp(270)
- cities, towns, villages (non-UK)(13,311)
- Great Britain(113)
- Far East(9)
- cultural identity(7,944)