- Created by
- Graham Sutherland OM 1903–1980
- Sketchbook 2
- Bound volume - sketchbook
- Tate Archive
- Presented by Mrs Kathleen Sutherland, the artist's widow, in 1981.
- TGA 812/2
Graphite, ink and watercolour on paper, 11 sheets, stubs of 37 pages plus covers, 217 x 140 mm
This sketchbook is dated 1937, the year before his first one-man exhibition of paintings, and shows him working on watercolours and oils and on commissions for applied art. The latter includes posters ('Go out into the Country' for London Passenger Transport Board and 'To visit Britain's Landmarks' for Shell Mex and BP Ltd.) and the design of decorative paper boards for the magazine 'Signature'. The inclusion of what seem to be two studies for 'Welsh Landscape' of 1936 shows that he must have begun the sketchbook in 1936, probably towards the end of that year.
- Collection of forty sketchbooks and fragments of sketchbooks TGA 812 (40)
- Sketchbook 2 TGA 812/2
You might like
- literature (not Shakespeare)(2,297)
- London - non-specific(3,641)