- Created by
- Graham Sutherland OM 1903–1980
- Sketchbook 25
- Bound volume - sketchbook
- Tate Archive
- Presented by Mrs Kathleen Sutherland, the artist's widow, in 1981.
- TGA 812/25
Graphite, crayon, chalk, gouache, and ink on paper, 61 pages, 3 pages and covers are missing, 185 × 114 mm
This sketchbook was in use at the same time as Sketchbook 26 as both include studies for the portrait of Paul Sacher made in Switzerland in November 1955; but in this one they are mostly details of his head and hands only. They include some sketches of him at rehearsal, in the act of conducting. Several drawings of a figure lying in or on a bed with a large lamp (chandelier?) hanging above it were probably made from Kathleen Sutherland in their bedroom at the Sachers' house at Pratteln during this same visit. The drawings connected with the Sacher portrait are interspersed with studies of landscape themes, including several for 'Hanging form over Water' 1955. As this was sold by Arthur Tooth & Sons in October 1955, Sutherland must have started the sketchbook before he went to Switzerland.
- Collection of forty sketchbooks and fragments of sketchbooks TGA 812 (40)
- Sketchbook 25 TGA 812/25
You might like
- animal / plant(28)
- landscape - non-specific(2,507)
- cities, towns, villages (non-UK)(13,291)