- Created by
- Graham Sutherland OM 1903–1980
- Sketchbook 5
- Bound volume - sketchbook
- Tate Archive
- Presented by Mrs Kathleen Sutherland, the artist's widow, in 1981.
- TGA 812/5
Graphite, chalk, crayon, ink, and watercolour on paper, 52 pages plus covers, 135 × 114 mm
This sketchbook includes studies for several of his projects as an Official War Artist (a munitions factory, tin mining, limestone quarries), dating from 1942 or the first half of 1943. The tin mine studies were made in Cornwall, the drawings of limestone quarries at Buxton in Derbyshire. There are also several sketches for the cover of the May 1943 issue of 'Poetry London', and for the colour lithographs Tassi 46-8 made for same issue. About two-thirds of the pages are blank.
- Collection of forty sketchbooks and fragments of sketchbooks TGA 812 (40)
- Sketchbook 5 TGA 812/5
You might like
- literature (not Shakespeare)(2,296)
- animals: birds(1,271)
- London - non-specific(3,642)