- Created by
- David Jones 1895–1974
- Sketchbook with drawings on cards stuck into the pages
- Bound volume - sketchbook
- Tate Archive
- Purchased by the Archive from the Anthony d'Offay Gallery, 1982.
- TGA 8222/1/4
Graphite on paper, contains 11 pages no covers, 267 x 350 mm
Page 1 left: Lion, inscribed copy from a monthly. Top right: Pot of flowers, inscribed Drawn from object. Bottom right: 'Dad at Home'.
Page 2 left: 'Summer', right: 'Winter' and inscribed 'imagination'.
Page 3: Study of a bonfire, inscribed 'Drawn after witnessing a Bonfire on Nov 5 from a window'.
Page 4: Study of a sleeping dog, inscribed 'Drawn from life, W.D. Jones 05'.
Page 5: Study of mountain goat and eagle, signed and dated 1904, inscribed 'imagination'.
Page 6 Top: Study of chickens, inscribed 'Drawn from life in a neighbouring yard'. Bottom: Study of Lions, signed and dated 1905, inscribed 'Drawn from Life at the Zoo'.
Page 7 Top left: Drawing has been removed. Bottom left: Study of a Tiger, signed and dated, inscribed 'Drawn from Life at the Zoo', three studies of a feather duster, inscribed 'Drawn from object', mounted sideways on the page.
Page 8: Inscribed 'Patsie' study of a crouching dog. Drawn from life 1905.
Page 9: Inscribed 'Feeding Time' study of a lion. Drawn from Life at the Zoo.
Page 10: Inscribed 'Pat' study of dog's head and signed W. Jones.
Page 11: 'Edward [The Black Prince visiting Calais 1347' (part of the title is torn away). Study of medieval knights on horseback, inscribed on front Aged 10. Edward ........ting Calais 1347. On reverse Englische - Wallisische Kunst des XX Jahrhunderts (in den jungen Jahren und Jungenheit von D J Dafyd Jones (aged about 9 years) circa 1904-5,
- Drawings and watercolours by David Jones, photographs of his work and source material TGA 8222 (112)
You might like
- emotions, concepts and ideas(16,929)
- leisure and pastimes(7,744)
- animals: actions(674)
- animals: birds(1,333)
- animals: features(760)
- animals: mammals(5,149)
- natural phenomena(3,349)
- plants and flowers(2,760)
- agriculture, gardening & fishing(1,035)
- clothing and personal items(6,037)
- religious and ceremonial(1,737)
- reading, writing, printed matter(5,142)
- food and drink(984)
- work and occupations(14,388)
- religion and belief(8,394)
- symbols and personifications(7,286)