- Created by
- Robert Adams 1917–1984
- Sketchbook [studies of carved and welded sculptures]
- Bound volume - sketchbook
- Tate Archive
- Presented by Mrs Pat Adams, widow of the artist, and her daughter Mrs Mary Adams Weatherhead, in 1984 and 1990.
- TGA 8421/1/18
Ink, graphite and wash on paper, 255 × 390 mm
Grey cover with 'Roberson's & Co Ltd, 71 Parkway, London, England'. This full sketchbook was used between c.1952 and c.1957 and covers the period of transtition to sculptures made of welded steel. Includes studies for 'Divided Columns' and 'Divided Pillars', and studies for 'Growing Forms', a series of 1952¿3. Several pages contain studies for the last wood carvings Adams made, 'Counterbalances', some of which were shown at Gimpel Fils, February 1956. Also contains studies of primitive tools, and drawings of religious subjects, mainly Christ on the Cross. The pages are largely in chronological order.
- Personal papers and artworks of Robert Adams TGA 8421 (44)
- Sketchbooks, drawings and records of work by Robert Adams TGA 8421/1 (25)
- Sketchbook [studies of carved and welded sculptures] TGA 8421/1/18
You might like
- emotions, concepts and ideas(16,531)
- named groups(2,823)