- Created by
- Robert Adams 1917–1984
- Sketchbook [studies relating to Gelsenkirchen commission]
- Bound volume - sketchbook
- Tate Archive
- Presented by Mrs Pat Adams, widow of the artist, and her daughter Mrs Mary Adams Weatherhead, in 1984 and 1990.
- TGA 8421/1/30
Graphite, ink and crayon on paper, 440 × 283 mm, 41 pages (many loose and some laid in)
Sketchbook (studies relating to Gelsenkirchen commission). Grey cover printed 'Rowney Series 91, Artist's Layout Pad'. This sketchbook contains studies for a variety of different projects, for small religious sculptures to large architectural commissions, many of the studies on loose sheets of paper which have been laid in, regardless of chronological order. A large proportion of the studies are for the relief for the city theatre of Gelsenkirchen in West Germany. Other designs included in this sketchbook are those for the P&O commission 'SS Canberra'; plans for alterations to Adams's home at 2a (later 2b) Pilgrims Lane, Hampstead; and studies for metal sculptures 1956-1958, notably 'Mystical Form' and 'Thorns'.
- Personal papers and artworks of Robert Adams TGA 8421 (44)
- Sketchbooks, drawings and records of work by Robert Adams TGA 8421/1 (25)
You might like
- named groups(2,823)