- Created by
- Robert Adams 1917–1984
- Northampton Sketchbook 3
- Bound volume - sketchbook
- Tate Archive
- Presented by Mrs Pat Adams, widow of the artist, and her daughter Mrs Mary Adams Weatherhead, in 1984 and 1990.
- TGA 8421/1/5
Crayon on paper, 304 × 247 mm, 24 pages plus covers
Study of a head and part of shoulders of old man with moustache, smoking a pipe and wearing a top hat. This is the same subject as in the sketchbook of Northampton and Paris studies,TGA 8421/1/6, pages 2, 3 and 5. From the newspaper clipping in the Tate Archive collection, the sitter can be identified as a Northampton man known as "A.J.", and further information from Miss R. Watson MA, Northamptonshire County Archivist, has identified the sitter as the Northampton Coroner Albert Joseph Darnell. In August 1987, Mrs Pat Adams provided the information that Adams was commissioned to paint an oil portrait of the coroner. The remaining twelve pages are blank.
- Personal papers and artworks of Robert Adams TGA 8421 (44)
- Sketchbooks, drawings and records of work by Robert Adams TGA 8421/1 (25)
- Northampton Sketchbook 3 TGA 8421/1/5
You might like
- individuals: male(1,847)