- Philip Wilson Steer 1860–1942
- Oil paint on canvas
- Support: 502 x 610 mm
- Presented by Owen Fleming 1953
N06141 THE CHURCH AT MONTREUIL 1907
Inscr. ‘P W Steer 1907’ b.l.
Canvas, 19 3/4×24 (50×61).
Presented by Owen Fleming 1953.
Coll: Purchased by Owen Fleming from the Goupil Gallery 1909.
Exh: Goupil Gallery, April–May 1909 (6).
Lit: MacColl, 1945, p.209.
Steer spent the summer of 1907 at Montreuil (Pas de Calais) with Fred Brown, W. C. Coles and Ronald Gray. A similar composition was shown at the Goupil Gallery in 1907 (canvas, 19 1/2×23 1/2 in.), which after belonging to J. G. Lyon was purchased by A. A. de Pass in 1923 and presented by him to Cape Town 1927.
Mary Chamot, Dennis Farr and Martin Butlin, The Modern British Paintings, Drawings and Sculpture, London 1964, II