This sketch was taken on the Unter den Linden Boulevard in Berlin. It shows the back of the statue of Gebhard Leberecht von Blücher (1742–1819), a Prussian general who led his army to victory against Napoleon at the Battles of Leipzig (1813) and Waterloo (1815). Turner’s inscription ‘MDCCCXIII’ (1813) is from one of the statue’s plaques. Beyond Blücher’s statue is the Neue Wache (the New Arsenal for the King’s Guards) and the Zeughaus (the Old Arsenal).
For other sketches of Berlin see Tate D21045–D31082; Turner Bequest CCCVII 13a–32.