The principal view shows Berlin’s Neue Wache (New Guardhouse) situated adjacent to the Zeughaus (Old Arsenal). The statue of General Blücher (1742–1819) can be seen in the foreground. Turner has rendered details of the Zeughaus and statues of two other Prussians who fought in the Napoleonic Wars: Generals Gerhard von Scharnhorst (1755–1813) and Friedrich von Bülow (1755–1816). Various inscriptions annotate the drawings: ‘4 figures at [...]’, ‘Doric Pil[asters]’ (by the detail of the Zeughaus entablature), ‘Helmets’ close to the statue of Blücher, and ‘6’ on the bays of the Zeughaus. At top right is a jotting of the Cathedral (Dom) and the Church of St Mary (Marienkirche).
For other sketches of Berlin see Tate D21045–D31082; Turner Bequest CCCVII 13a–32.