Here Turner has depicted part of the equestrian statue of Frederick William (1620–1688), Elector of Brandenburg. The statue was designed by Andreas Schlüter (1664–1714) and cast in bronze by Johann Jacobi (1696–1709) for the Langebrücke.1 It is now situated in the cour d’honneur of the Charlottenburg Palace. Turner records the pedestal of Schlüter’s monument and the Four Captives which surround it.2 Below the sketch is a view of the Altes Museum in Berlin, with the Cathedral at right and the Schlossbrücke in the foreground.
For other sketches of Berlin see Tate D21045–D31082; Turner Bequest CCCVII 13a–32.
‘The Monument to the Great Elector on Horseback’, Staatliche Museen zu Berlin, accessed 29 May 2015, http://ww2
.smb .museum /schlueter /das -reiterstandbild
Schlüter clearly intended to emulate the equestrian monument to Henri IV designed for the Pont Neuf in Paris by Giambologna and Pietro Tacca. Largely destroyed in the French Revolution, Pietro Francavilla’s Four Captives which once surrounded the monument’s pedestal still remain (Musée du Louvre, Paris); see http://www
.louvre .fr /en /oeuvre -notices /four -captives -pedestal -equestrian -statue -henry -iv
- townscapes / man-made features(21,653)
- townscape, distant(8,117)