Not on display
This is a view of Berlin’s Königskolonnaden or King’s Colonnade taken from King Street (Königstrasse, now Rathausstrasse). It was built between 1777 and 1780 for Frederick the Great (1712–86).1 Comprised of coupled Ionic columns, the Colonnade flanked one side of the King’s Bridge (Königsbrücke) and was lavishly decorated with a scheme of sculptures. It was relocated to Heinrich-von-Kleist Park in the early twentieth century. In Turner’s sketch a passenger boat can be seen approaching the Königsbrücke. The annotation ‘All Wom’ is inscribed close by, possibly a shortening of ‘All Women’.
At rear Turner has inscribed ‘Fausts Winter Garden’ which refers to one of four pleasure gardens in Berlin. Faust’s housed exotic plants in greenhouses and visitors could enjoy entertainments like plays, poetry or music recitals there.
For other sketches of Berlin see Tate D21045–D31082; Turner Bequest CCCVII 13a–32.
‘Die Königskolonnaden im Heinrich-von-Kleist-Park an der Potsdamer Straße’, Berlin, accessed 29 May 2015, https://www
.berlin .de /ba -tempelhof -schoeneberg /organisationseinheit /planen /koeko_start .html