Not on display
This is a sketch of Berlin’s Lustgarten, with the Marienkirche, Cathedral and the northern façade of the Stadtschloss at left, Cantian’s granite basin in the foreground, and the Altes Museum at right. Turner has inscribed the dedication on the entrance of the museum across the page. The complete dedication reads: ‘Fridericus Guilelmus III Studio Antiquitatis Omnigenae et artium Liberalium Museum Constituit mdcccxxviii’ (incorrectly transcribed by Turner as ‘mdcccxxxiii’). This translates as: ‘Friedrich Wilhelm III dedicated this museum to the study of all antiquity and liberal arts in 1828’. At bottom right is a separate jotting of part of the Stadtschloss.
For other sketches of Berlin see Tate D21046–D31082; Turner Bequest CCCVII 14–32.