The focus is one of the classical stone urns set round the formal lawn on the southern side of East Cowes Castle, with the arcade of the long conservatory running north-west to the towers of the main house beyond, and the smaller of its two conservatories terminating the vista at the left. Compare the view in Tate D20805 (Turner Bequest CCXXVII a 2), and the urn in D20839 (CCXXVII a 36).
This is among dozens of blue paper studies made in and around East Cowes Castle, presumably in the course of a single visit. For more on the various aspects of the house (demolished in about 1950), and its lost grounds as depicted by Turner, see the Introduction to this subsection.
Blank; inscribed in pencil ‘D20816’ bottom right.
- townscapes / man-made features(21,691)
- Isle of Wight(261)