Not on display
The abbey was founded at Furness in the mid-twelfth century, by monks of the Order of Savigny who had moved there from Preston. In 1247 their order was amalgamated with that of the Cistercians, and the buildings erected at Furness are very much those of a Cistercian foundation, their austerity enhanced by the use of warm red sandstone.
Turner scholar David Hill identifies the viewpoint as the bottom of the night stairs leading from the dormitory into the south transept, looking north over the crossing into the north transept. Other studies of the abbey are on folios 76 recto and 77 recto (D01063, D01064; Turner Bequest XXXV 61, 62).
Blank; inscribed by A.J. Finberg in pencil ‘141.60’.