The subject was suggested as ‘Peveril?’ by A.J. Finberg (died 1939) and the watercolour and Turner scholar C.F. Bell (died 1966) in undated manuscript notes in copies of Finberg’s 1909 Inventory,1 and confirmed by Ian Warrell as views of Peveril Castle from the east and possibly the church at nearby Hope.2 They are all drawn with the page turned vertically, and separated by horizontal pencil lines.
The upper view shows Peveril Castle above Castleton, looking south-west from the vicinity of the Castleton-Hope road; it is possibly inscribed ‘Peveril’. The second sketch is a similar view, but more tightly focused on the castle and village. For other views of them and Peak Cavern, see under folio 1 verso (D22152); for a similar view, see also folio 10 recto opposite (D22167).
At the bottom is St Peter’s Church, Hope (the next village east of Castleton). The building is seen from the north-east above the Castleton road; today it is largely obscured by trees from this side, but the acorn-shaped finials on the gateposts between the church and the cottage beyond are apparently the same. The church is also seen on folio 51 verso (D22244).