This sketch of Prague was taken from the banks of the Vltava River in the Old Town. Turner looks towards the Hradcany district at right, where Prague’s imperial Castle and the Cathedral of St Vitus are situated. The Cathedral’s tower is visible at top right. Charles Bridge, mounted with the statues of thirty saints, is seen below, along with the baroque dome and spire of St Nicholas’s Church. At left is Petrín Hill, with the tower of the Church of Our Lady Victorious and the distant twin spires of St Lawrence’s Church.
Turner produced several views of Prague on the 1835 tour. For other drawings in this sketchbook Tate D30759–30761, D30764–D30765, D30767, D30771–D30773, D30775–D30777, D30779–D30783, D30788–D30790, D30792–D30803, D30805, D30807–D30811, D30813–D30820; Turner Bequest CCCIV 68–69, 70a–71, 72, 74–75, 76–77, 78–80, 82a–84, 85–91, 92, 93–96, 97–102. See also the Dresden, Tepliz and Prague sketchbook (Tate D30344–D30361, D30364–D30366; Turner Bequest CCCI 25–33a, 36–37).
- townscapes / man-made features(21,691)
- townscape, distant(8,119)
- River Vltava(30)