This sketch depicts the Charles Bridge in Prague, capital of Bohemia. It was constructed under the auspices of Holy Roman Emperor Charles IV at the beginning of the fifteenth century. In the late seventeenth to eighteenth centuries the north and south balustrades were mounted with thirty statues of saints, some of which are visible here.
Turner produced several views of Prague on the 1835 tour. For other drawings in this sketchbook Tate D30759–30761, D30764–D30765, D30767, D30771–D30773, D30775–D30777, D30779–D30783, D30788–D30790, D30792–D30803, D30805, D30807–D30811, D30813–D30820; Turner Bequest CCCIV 68–69, 70a–71, 72, 74–75, 76–77, 78–80, 82a–84, 85–91, 92, 93–96, 97–102. See also the Dresden, Tepliz and Prague sketchbook (Tate D30344–D30361, D30364–D30366; Turner Bequest CCCI 25–33a, 36–37).
- townscapes / man-made features(21,653)
- townscape, distant(8,117)