This view of Prague was taken from the edge of Petrín Hill, on the opposite bank of the Vlatava to the Old Town (seen at right). The Little Quarter is built on the lower reaches of Petrín Hill, and features a number of baroque churches including the Church of Our Lady Victorious (at bottom left, topped with an onion dome) and the twin-towered Church of Saint Mary under the Chain. Charles Bridge, mounted with over thirty statues of saints, is at centre. Just visible at the end of it is the dome of St Francis’ Church.
Turner produced several views of Prague on the 1835 tour. For other drawings in this sketchbook Tate D30759–30761, D30764–D30765, D30767, D30771–D30773, D30775–D30777, D30779–D30783, D30788–D30790, D30792–D30803, D30805, D30807–D30811, D30813–D30820; Turner Bequest CCCIV 68–69, 70a–71, 72, 74–75, 76–77, 78–80, 82a–84, 85–91, 92, 93–96, 97–102. See also the Dresden, Tepliz and Prague sketchbook (Tate D30344–D30361, D30364–D30366; Turner Bequest CCCI 25–33a, 36–37).
- townscapes / man-made features(21,691)
- River Vltava(30)