Here Turner pictures the Vltava River flowing through the centre of Prague, capital of Bohemia. Connecting the Old Town at left and the adjacent Lesser or Little Quarter at right is the Charles Bridge, which was constructed in 1357 under the auspices of King and Holy Roman Emperor Charles IV. A gothic tower fortifies the Old Town side of the bridge, and close by is the domed Church of St Francis. This sketch is one part of a panoramic survey of the city rendered across three pages (see Tate D30347–D30348; Turner Bequest CCCI 26a–27).
- townscapes / man-made features(21,653)
- townscape, distant(8,117)
- River Vltava(30)