Drawn with the sketchbook inverted is a slight sketch of Roslin Castle from the north-west. The castle itself is shown in outline and silhouette only, though the shapes of the ruined gatehouse at the left and keep at the right can be made out. The castle sits at the edge of the north bank of the North Esk River and both banks are shown in the sketch, covered in rapidly sketched foliage. A lightly sketched tree trunk at the left of the picture is inscribed illegibly. At the bottom right of the page is a tiny carefully drawn study of part of Roslin Chapel. There is another view of the castle from the north-west on folio 81 of this sketchbook (D13718; CLXVII 73), and two in the Edinburgh, 1818 sketchbook (Tate D13502 and D13564; Turner Bequest CLXVI 27a and 59a).