With the page turned horizontally, the main view is from south of Trieste’s lighthouse, looking north along the coast. Operational from 1833, it still stands on its castellated base at the southern end of the harbour, but was superseded in the 1920s by the monumental Faro della Vittoria, north of the city.1
Below to the right is a study of a boat or boats with the sails partly furled, while at the bottom left is what appears to be a thumbnail sketch with Trieste’s Castello di San Giusto and the coast to the south-west. These are part of a sequence of views in and around the Adriatic port city, made working inwards from the back of this sketchbook; see under folio 57 recto (D30109).2
See ‘Fanale – Lanterna’, Istria on the Internet, accessed 23 April 2018, http://www
.istrianet. .org /istria //architecture /lighthouses /trieste -lanterna .htm
See also Powell 1995, pp.66, 81 note 18.
There is staining at the top centre from the leather pencil loop secured under the rear paste-down (D30129; Turner Bequest CCXCIX 67).
- townscapes / man-made features(21,691)