With the page turned horizontally and used both ways up, there are two similar views here from within Trieste’s busy harbour, looking north. There is a separate, more detailed study of the lighthouse above the outer view, where it also appears in rough outline on the left. Operational from 1833, it still stands on its castellated base at the southern end of the harbour, but was superseded in the 1920s by the monumental Faro della Vittoria, north of the city.1
See ‘Fanale – Lanterna’, Istria on the Internet, accessed 23 April 2018, http://www
.istrianet. .org /istria //architecture /lighthouses /trieste -lanterna .htm
See also Powell 1995, pp.66, 81 note 18.
There is staining at the bottom centre from the leather pencil loop secured under the rear paste-down (D30129; Turner Bequest CCXCIX 67).
- townscapes / man-made features(21,691)