With the page turned horizontally, the view is east from the sea on the approach to Trieste, centred on its lighthouse with the profile of the city lightly indicated on the heights beyond, and the Castello di San Giusto on the skyline to the left. At the top right is what appears to be a continuation to the left of the main view, with masts along the waterfront. The lighthouse, operational from 1833, still stands on its castellated base at the southern end of the harbour, but was superseded in the 1920s by the monumental Faro della Vittoria, north of the city.1
See ‘Fanale – Lanterna’, Istria on the Internet, accessed 23 April 2018, http://www
.istrianet. .org /istria //architecture /lighthouses /trieste -lanterna .htm
See also Powell 1995, pp.66, 81 note 18.
There is staining at the top centre from the leather pencil loop secured under the rear paste-down (D30129; Turner Bequest CCXCIX 67).