With the page turned horizontally, the view is south-west to the mole and lighthouse of Trieste’s harbour from the west side of the elevated Castello di San Giusto. Later developments and trees make the exact viewpoint uncertain. The left-hand side is shown twice, with a detailed view taking up about half the page, reprised in outline above on a smaller scale to allow for the inclusion of the horizon and the lighthouse. Operational from 1833, it still stands on its castellated base at the southern end of the harbour, but was superseded in the 1920s by the monumental Faro della Vittoria, north of the city.1
Above, at the outer edge, are slight studies of small boats and figures, presumably recorded at the harbour.
See ‘Fanale – Lanterna’, Istria on the Internet, accessed 23 April 2018, http://www
.istrianet. .org /istria //architecture /lighthouses /trieste -lanterna .htm
See also Powell 1995, pp.66, 81 note 18.
There is staining at the top centre from the leather pencil loop secured under the rear paste-down (D30129; Turner Bequest CCXCIX 67).