With the page turned horizontally, towards the top the main view is from the south side of Trieste’s harbour. The lighthouse, operational from 1833, still stands on its castellated base, but was superseded in the 1920s by the monumental Faro della Vittoria, north of the city.1 At the centre appears to be a separate study of dockside equipment, including a crane or hoist. Below is what is presumably an unrelated study of a dead, fallen tree.
The Turner scholar C.F. Bell annotated Finberg’s 1909 Inventory entry (‘Quay beside river’): ‘Trieste’.2 This is one of a sequence of views in and around the Adriatic port city, made working inwards from the back of this sketchbook, which Bell had similarly noted as such overall; see under folio 57 recto (D30109).3
See ‘Fanale – Lanterna’, Istria on the Internet, accessed 23 April 2018, http://www
.istrianet. .org /istria //architecture /lighthouses /trieste -lanterna .htm
Undated MS note by Bell (died 1966) in copy of Finberg 1909, Prints and Drawings Room, Tate Britain, II, p.969.
See ibid.; see also Powell 1995, pp.66, 81 note 18.