This is the left half of a double-page spread, continued to the right on folio 9 (D10884), opposite. It is taken from a viewpoint on the left bank of the River Wharfe, looking upstream to Wetherby Bridge, with the old St James’s Church1 at the extreme right. Turner has positioned himself closer to the bridge than he did to make the preceding sketch on folio 8 of the sketchbook (D10882).
The present church was built 1839–41.
- townscapes / man-made features(21,710)
- townscape, distant(8,119)
- River Wharfe(38)