- Created by
- Graham Sutherland OM 1903–1980
- Sketchbook 26
- Bound volume - sketchbook
- Tate Archive
- Presented by Mrs Kathleen Sutherland, the artist's widow, in 1981.
- TGA 812/26
Graphite, crayon, and chalk on paper, 20 pages, 1 page and covers are missing, 215 × 170 mm
This is a school exercise book for mathematical calculations. Sutherland took it to Switzerland in November 1955 to make studies for the portrait of the conductor Paul Sacher, and seems to have chosen squared paper because it facilitated the process of squaring up for enlargement. Whereas he used the smaller Sketchbook 25 (TGA 812/25) primarily for studies of details of Sacher's head and hands, the drawings in this one are of his whole body, right down to his shoes, and depict him in various different attitudes. The other drawings in this sketchbook, of landscapes, buildings and insects, were probably also made in Switzerland during his visit.
- Collection of forty sketchbooks and fragments of sketchbooks TGA 812 (40)
- Sketchbook 26 TGA 812/26
You might like
- building - non-specific(3,172)
- individuals: male(1,847)