This sketch shows the ruined gateway of Dunbar Castle, drawn here in careful outline with the detail of an arched window. This is one of a series of close-up sketches of the castle which sits on a promontory off the East Lothian coast (see folio 25; D13626; CLXVII 24 for details). The drawing record the ruins from different angles, and helped Turner to create his watercolour of Dunbar, circa 1823 (private collection),1 which was engraved for the Provincial Antiquities publication. The following page contains a similar view taken from slightly further away (folio 30; D13632; CLXVII 29).
There is a pale pink smudge beneath Finberg’s blue number ‘28’, presumably the remains of Ruskin’s original red ink numbering.
Andrew Wilton, J.M.W. Turner: His Life and Work, Fribourg 1979, p.426 no.1066.
- periods and styles(5,202)
- Lothian, East(213)