Continued from folio 33 verso (D13639; CLXVII 31c) this sketch shows the ruins of Dunbar Castle from the east, and was one of three studies used as the basis of Turner’s watercolour design for the Provincial Antiquities, Dunbar, circa 1823 (private collection).1 The present page shows the castle from the ruined gateway (left) to the sea, with the ruins of what was probably the keep almost tumbling in among the rocks.
There is a pink smudge next to Finberg’s inscription at the top right; the remains of Ruskin’s red ink numbering.
Andrew Wilton, J.M.W. Turner: His Life and Work, Fribourg 1979, p.426 no.1066.
- periods and styles(5,203)
- Lothian, East(213)