From the woods south-west of East Cowes Castle, the steps below the arcaded façade of the smaller of its two conservatories (see particularly under Tate D20844; Turner Bequest CCXXVII a 41) are seen in the distance. A ghostly couple in the foreground are of the sort Finberg dubbed ‘lovers’ here and in similar studies;1 see under D20809 (CCXXVII a 6) for other examples.
This is among dozens of blue paper studies made in and around East Cowes Castle, presumably in the course of a single visit. For more on the various aspects of the house (demolished in about 1950), and its lost grounds as depicted by Turner, see the Introduction to this subsection.
See Finberg 1909, II, p.701.
Blank; inscribed in pencil ‘Box 97’ bottom right.
- Isle of Wight(261)