This is one of two studies of a formal pool with urns and a large classical statue of a nude river goddess (perhaps representing the nearby Medina) in the grounds of East Cowes Castle, the towers of which are indicated in the background. A pool is marked south of the house in early Ordnance Survey maps, adjacent to what may be kitchen gardens. This and the companion drawing (Tate D20841; Turner Bequest CCXXVII a 38) show an elaborate setting with arcaded rustic screens of stone or perhaps trelliswork. The main statue is shown in both views but is unclear whether the forms to its right here indicate other statuary or visitors to the garden. Compare the view of one of the conservatories (D20850; CCXXVII a 47), including another large statue.
This is among dozens of blue paper studies made in and around East Cowes Castle, presumably during the same visit. For more on the various aspects of the house (demolished in about 1950), and its lost grounds as depicted by Turner, see the Introduction to this subsection.
- Isle of Wight(261)