The building in the foreground is North Lodge, the rustic cottage-style gatehouse at the entrance to the East Cowes Castle estate. Designed and built by Turner’s Isle of Wight host John Nash between 1798 and 1802, it survives in slightly modified form at the junction of Old Road and Millfield Avenue.1 Down the wooded drive the highest tower of the main house is seen to the south, with the valley of the River Medina to the right. Compare two views from along the drive (Tate D20810, D20811; Turner Bequest CCXXVII a 7, 8).
This is among dozens of blue paper studies made in and around East Cowes Castle, presumably in the course of a single visit. For more on the various aspects of the house (demolished in about 1950), and its lost grounds as depicted by Turner, see the Introduction to this subsection.
See ‘North Lodge, East Cowes’, British Listed Buildings, accessed 11 November 29015, http://www
.britishlistedbuildings, and photograph in Michael Mansbridge, John Nash: A Complete Catalogue, Oxford 1991, p.87, captioned as ‘South Lodge’ (sic). .co .uk /en -420267 -north -lodge -east -cowes
Although not immediately apparent except in the slight blotting towards the right, losses were sustained in the 1928 Tate Gallery flood, when ink was offset to a sheet laid over this one during the recovery process (Tate D40524).
Blank; there is very slight ink offsetting, presumably from another drawing in this East Cowes sequence.
- townscapes / man-made features(21,653)
- Isle of Wight(261)