Continued from folio 30 verso (D13633; CLXVII 29a), this sketch of Dunbar Castle from the east was used as the basis for Turner’s watercolour design of Dunbar, circa 1823 (private collection) 1 for the Provincial Antiquities. This part of the picture shows the northern half of the promontory on which the ruins sit, with the old castle gate at the left with the keep in the centre and the promontory falling away into the sea at the right.
There is a pale pink smudge next to Finberg’s number, the remains of Ruskin’s red ink numbering.
Wilton 1979, p.426 no.1066.
- periods and styles(5,203)
- Lothian, East(213)